Saturday, August 6, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
In this work, a Ken doll I bought at a yard sale a few weeks ago was heated and bent into the appropriate shape. Hope Barbie doesn't object! Another catalytic converter cover was used to encase Hanged Man and the whole piece was built onto a curved door from an old cabinet.
Monday, June 6, 2011
Friday, May 27, 2011
At a yard sale I found a very old ornate tissue box cover, which forms the foundation of this piece. A pressure gauge,a cast iron trivet (sans center portion), an oval frame and a "pearl" necklace were used to complete the piece along with the dark head on the bottom. Why is he there? I have no clue, he just fit!
Monday, May 23, 2011
The two pillars she's sitting between are Boaz and Joachim, the pillars of Mercy and Severity. I used the "B" and "J" keys from the keyboard to represent this. They are at the very bottom on each side. The Blue color represents royalty. The Solar Cross is a symbol of the balance between male and female.
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
The main component of this one is a rusted out catalytic converter from an automobile. I have a large collection of these, as they are found on almost every road around here. Thank you Winter salt trucks! The rest is fairly obvious stuff, metal cabinet pull, angle iron, metal packaging tape. Oh, and the wings at the top were cut from a bowling trophy I picked up at a yard sale.
I realized something while I was working on this one. For a few years now, I've been trying to find a way to incorporate found objects into my collage/paintings. Had limited success with this marriage of two distinct media. I liked some of the attempts but produced many more that I didn't like at all. I would begin by making a collage/painting (as you can see examples of to the left), and try to fix found objects onto the panel or canvas. It suddenly occurred to me that I was now incorporating painting onto my Found Object assemblages instead of the other way around. I never painted the objects before, only painted the backgrounds. This Tarot series found me painting almost all of the objects after they were affixed to the background! The color helps to hold all of the disparate objects together in a cohesive composition. Problem solved! The subconscious is an amazing thing!!!
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
This one was finished on Sunday evening and sold Monday night :)
These have been SO much fun to assemble and I hope you are enjoying them as much as I am.
Sunday, May 15, 2011
The backing was once one end of an old trestle type coffee table. The little "cave" that contains the Queen held the crossbar that held the two ends together- which means I have one more of these to use !!!! Yaaaah! I guess it will have to be used for the "King of Swords"? There is a glass beaded globe on top fron an ancient chandelier along with glass prisms from another chandelier. The gold crown itself came from another old light fixture. The downward pointing sharp things on each side are from a farm plow rig and the triangle rusty thing at the very top is actually a piece of plastic from the end cap of a roll of vinyl sheeting, painted to look like rusted iron. The "roof" of the Queen's" cave is a framing sample. I bought a huge box full opf these things for $10 at a yard sale. You WILL be seeing more of these in my work, guaranteed. LOL!
The word "Nobility" is written on the little scrap of paper below the Queen and various other rusted, old metal doo-dads are attached to help with the texture ofthe piece. If you notice there are 2 beer bottle caps attached to each side on to pieces of a leather belt at the bottom. I learned how to artificially "rust" brand new beer bottle caps for this project. A true Alchemist's trick !!! :)