Sunday, May 15, 2011

"Queen of Swords" 18 x 27 Found Object Assemblage

This is # 3 from my Tarot Queens series. I do plan on doing all of them then moving on to other cards. This one gave me such a hard time last night. Felt very frustrated and almostr started to disassemble it. A good night's sleep made all the difference this morning.
The backing was once one end of an old trestle type coffee table. The little "cave" that contains the Queen held the crossbar that held the two ends together- which means I have one more of these to use !!!! Yaaaah! I guess it will have to be used for the "King of Swords"? There is a glass beaded globe on top fron an ancient chandelier along with glass prisms from another chandelier. The gold crown itself came from another old light fixture. The downward pointing sharp things on each side are from a farm plow rig and the triangle rusty thing at the very top is actually a piece of plastic from the end cap of a roll of vinyl sheeting, painted to look like rusted iron. The "roof" of the Queen's" cave is a framing sample. I bought a huge box full opf these things for $10 at a yard sale. You WILL be seeing more of these in my work, guaranteed. LOL!
The word "Nobility" is written on the little scrap of paper below the Queen and various other rusted, old metal doo-dads are attached to help with the texture ofthe piece. If you notice there are 2 beer bottle caps attached to each side on to pieces of a leather belt at the bottom. I learned how to artificially "rust" brand new beer bottle caps for this project. A true Alchemist's trick !!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sensational piece of art. Your works are very inspiring. Found your blog by random and so glad I did. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa and than thanks for the support. Glad that this blog is at least getting some exposure.I've been in ill health lately and haven't been able to produce anything for the past 3 months. Plan is to get back into shape and work in the studio soon.

    ReplyDelete